Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In class flipping the classroom activity

I have heard the term flipping the classroom often here at UGA. During my undergraduate years in Minnesota, I did not know the term existed. Now its everywhere, I know it exists but I do not know what it means. Hopefully today, Team! will tell me what it is.

To be continued...

After the class presentation on flipping the classroom I have mixed feelings. It seems like a great idea for some fields but I haven't quite decided the opinion I have about it in my own field of microbiology. I can think of many times in science classes where a student asked a question and the lecture took a complete turn.  If someone is confused about a simple background concept, it may be necessary to explain it to continue the lecture. Sometimes these are the best learning moments for the students and professor. In my own experiences I have learned much from random tangents.

flippin'
On the other hand, I have never experienced a flipped classroom so I cannot be sure if I would find it just as beneficial. I think it would be great to listen to dry lectures in the comfort of my own home and then go to class for group work. I always learn so much from discussions and group work because my mind is thinking and participating in the topic being presented. I have more fun and get to know my classmates as well. I also think it is great to do homework in class because 1. you  know the students are doing the homework and 2. If they have questions they can get your help. I could see #2 being especially useful in a math or physics course where solving equations alone seems like an impossible task.

Having said all of this, I think a perfect combination of the two concepts would be best. Instead of having a lecture online, you can have a lecture in person and then a discussion/homework day the next. That way the lecture could take its natural course, and you could even record it for those who didn't show up or would rather learn on their own. Then the next class (ex. thursday of a Tu/Th class) you could do class activities. It is a good mix up and a way to keep students entertained without a feeling of monotony for every class.

All in all, I'd have to try it and currently I am uncertain and confused about how I feel about this technology of flipping the class room.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea of have mixed/alternating class formats to keep students engaged & to facilitate more student interaction. However, one potential problem with that format would be the reduction in time to teach/address different topics over the course of the semester. Depending on the class subject & the skill of the teacher, though, I'm sure your proposed format could work well!

    ReplyDelete