Monday, February 11, 2013

20x20

20x20, am I referring to a size of my window that I am sitting next to? No. I suppose this is a good lesson from my physics professor as un undergrad: always put units on numbers to avoid being in physics hell.

20x20 in this context refers to 20 slides x 20 seconds/slide. This is a presentation by Pecha Kucha that only lets you have 20 images and automatically forwards to the next image after 20 seconds.  A huge challenge indeed, one that includes a lot of practice, precision, and planning. To that, I will quote how I met your mother: challenge accepted.

I think that this form of presentation could be extremely useful in my future as a TA. The microbiology department requires you to teach and generally you are teaching a lab course. I can think of so many instances in my undergrad years where I wanted to hulk out at the TA who was giving a 30 minute lab intro presentation. I already read the material (or maybe I didn't but I would read it as I went along) and some of the info was presented in lecture. I think in this scenario, the 20x20 Pecha Kucha presentation would be highly effective. I could explain what we will be doing in lab that day without dragging on about useless details and confusing slides. My presentation would amount to 6.5 minutes, and I think many of my colleagues would agree, that this is a good amount of time to keep an undergrads attention. When I am assigned to a lab section to teach, I really want to try this form of technology to enhance the learning of my students. I think it could keep me and my students happy with the explanation of the material.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! You should try one to see how it goes. I will look for your results here on your blog. But no pressure :-)

    ReplyDelete